Tryon Palace was completed in 1770, and served as the first permanent capitol of North Carolina and home to the Tryon family. Tryon Palace was the site of the first sessions of the general assembly for the State of North Carolina following the revolution and housed the state governors until 1794. In 1798, fire destroyed the original Palace building. An extensive 30-year campaign to rebuild the Palace. Print from Janet Francoeur’s original watercolor, signed and numbered.